Sunday, August 14, 2016

Love Your Spouse Challenge

This past week I've participated in the 7 Day Love Your Spouse Challenge that's been circulating around Facebook. I only participated because Jesse repeatedly asked me to after I was tagged. Since I already have the pictures and captions, I thought I'd compile it into a quick blog post. I don't know how our marriage compares to others because most people don't openly discuss the ins and outs of marriage. All I know is our marriage works and we rely on each other in most every area of life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 1: Our love is unfiltered and sometimes unattractive. We find each other beautiful, even in our least flattering moments.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 2: Marriage is making a commitment to stay together, even in times of doubt, frustration, or apathy. When you don't quite know how to navigate life, you figure it out together.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 3: Spouses encourage and challenge one another to achieve their goals and dreams. Marriage is not just about growing as a couple, but supporting one another to grow as individuals.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 4: Spouses share responsibilities. They pitch in wherever is needed to provide for the family and take care of the household--including cooking, cleaning, bills, childcare, etc.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 5: When you've been together so long you've heard every story twice, it becomes even more important to make new stories together. Appreciate the past, but live in the present.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 6: Spouses value each other's opinions enough to make compromises. They know when to give, when to take, and what is worth fighting for.

At our wedding ceremony, Jesse waited at the front of the aisle with the bridal party, while I waited in the back narthex. As the bridal processional began, we both walked towards one another, meeting in the center of the aisle, then walked the rest of the way together. We began our marriage by meeting each other in the middle, and we continue to do so now.
 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day 7: Becoming parents has been the single greatest challenge and blessing to my marriage.

I intentionally chose to omit the kids from the Love Your Spouse Challenge thus far because children are obviously not a requirement of marriage. However, I cannot talk about loving my spouse without acknowledging what a fantastic father Jesse is and how that makes me love, respect, admire, and need him even more. Four kids in two years has been chaotic to say the least. We are learning how to create a strong family and let go of the little things.

I hope the past week has provided a glimpse of what kind of marriage we strive to have and the love we share. Ugga mugga, Jesse.

No comments:

Post a Comment