Monday, May 12, 2014

Wheat Belly: Day 1

If things aren't going well, I typically don't mention them until it has been resolved. But this particular issue is not an easy fix and will be a long road before things get better.

For well over a year now, I've been eating for four. I had healthy, full term babies. I pumped 90 ounces of milk a day for many months. Unfortunately, once I began dropping pumping sessions, I continued to eat. And eat. And eat. And I haven't exercised since the miscarriage prior to conceiving the triplets.

Confession: I weighed myself yesterday for the first time in several months. At almost ten months post partum, I weigh two pounds MORE than I did on the day I gave birth.

Jesse, at age 27, has ridiculous problems with his cholesterol, thyroid, acid reflux, allergies, and blood sugar. He is already on several medications but his most recent labs reveal that the numbers are going in the wrong direction.  We're both obese and unhealthy. Our current weights, combined with genetics, are not in our favor.

Jesse purchased Wheat Belly a few weeks ago. I read and analyzed it. We decided on a start date (after Teacher Appreciation Week, when Jesse would be showered with unlimited pastries, breakfast burritos, cookies, chicken biscuits, and more).

We cleared our pantry of all things containing grains (wheat flour, whole grains, modified food starch, etc). The only thing left were bananas, green beans, refried beans (which still has a high Glycemic Index), tomatoes, and tea bags.


Items we donated.
I had difficulty planning meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). We exhausted our funds at Sam's, Trader Joe's, and Aldi stocking up on produce and meat.

Breakfast staples are eggs, cheese, veggies for omelets, chicken sausage (nitrate-free).
Lunch is homemade chicken salad, egg salad, turkey, avocado, cheese, and anything else wrapped in romaine lettuce.
Dinner for the week includes:

  • pork chop, cole slaw, stewed apples
  • shepherd's pie (with cauliflower mash instead of potatoes)
  • roasted chicken with celery, onions, and carrots
  • salmon, broccoli, sweet potato fries
  • fajitas: beef strips, onions, and peppers (making tortillas with milled flax)
  • grilled chicken with salad 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Today was Day 1.
Day 1 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.
Day 1 of eating grain-free and sugar-free.

My head is throbbing. I've been nauseous for a few hours now.
Temptations were everywhere.
I refrained from eating Jackson's grilled cheese and yogurt covered raisins.
I didn't steal the babies' graham crackers.
I resisted the urge to go through a drive-thru when all the kids were sleeping in the van.

I want to crawl in a dark cave made of cake and eat quietly until I pass out into a food coma.

Have I mentioned my head might be splitting in half?

I'll update again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. But you made it through Day 1, victory!!

    Tortillas with milled flax? Oh, bonnie...I think I'd go fajita salad instead. You must update on that endeavor.

    ReplyDelete