Saturday, August 6, 2011

Things No One Told Me About Breastfeeding: After Three Months

While I was pregnant I read several breastfeeding books and articles, discussed it with other mothers, and attended Bradley classes about the topic.  I was familiar with the various positions/holds, engorgement, frequency, etc.  I was well prepared for how challenging the first few weeks might be.  I was not prepared for the breastfeeding struggles I would experience several months down the road.  Here is what I would have told my pregnant self while I was reading up on breastfeeding:

  • You will spend every 2-3 hours of your life either nursing or pumping the first few months.  You will turn down day trips and weekend getaways to avoid the hassle of toting along a pump.
  • You will either cry or curse if you spill a few ounces of expressed milk or if one of your storage bags leaks.
  • When picking out an outfit each morning, your first thought will be, "Can I comfortably nurse in this?"  Gone are the days of cute dresses.
  • Your baby will not have any problems with latching.  If fact, he will be so good at keeping latch, that he will not even let go as he violently turns his head.  Gives new meaning to the phrase "purple nurple".
  • You will blame yourself when it comes to your child's weight, skin, and poop issues.  Is your diet good enough?  Are you eating something that has upset your baby?  Are you producing enough milk?
  • Many people will not want to sit beside you while you are nursing, even though you are completely covered.  Some people will even leave the room while you feed your child.  Apparently some people confuse a nursing mother with a leper.
  • There is significant judgement from other breastfeeding mothers regarding how and when you wean your child and, God forbid, if you supplement with formula.
  • You will not want to hold two horns up to your chest every time you pump.  Whether you choose to cut holes in another bra, buy an expensive hands free pumping bra/bustier, or use hair ties, you need something.
  • You will be so jealous of your friends' formula fed babies who are sleeping through the night, while you get up at least 2-3 times a night to feed your child.
  • You will struggle with balancing how to eat healthy and simply eat enough.  You will go back and forth between emotional eating and restrictive diets, which will make you either second guess yourself as an attractive wife or as a nurturing mother.
  •  You alone will learn how to feed your child.  Nursing is not a shared responsibility.  Even after pumping, you will do the majority of the feedings. 
With all that said, I do not have a negative association with breastfeeding.  I know it was the right choice for me and I intend on nursing as long as possible.  I would have also told my pregnant self, "You will feed your child for free, provide the most basic comfort to your son, and proudly use your body the way in which God designed it."

I just wish I would have known what challenges to expect beyond those first few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think 2 hair ties would cut it. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete