Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Fun with Baking Soda and Vinegar

I typically use Wednesdays as "field trip" days or just general fun excursions with the kids. I was in a bit of a funk today, so the five of us stayed in our pajamas all day. In an effort to break up the day, I let the kids mix baking soda and vinegar.

The set up was simple. 
Four plastic cups with colored vinegar.
Miscellaneous utensils (medicine dropper, measuring spoons, straw)
Two pans covered with a thin layer of baking soda


We were able to conduct our science explorations outside in between randomly intense storms. I made sure to engage them in their senses, though I was very clear that they should not put anything in their mouth. We've done enough experiments that they're very good about following directions. I entered teacher mode by asking things like:

  • What do you think is in the pan? 
  • What color is it?
  • Is it soft or rough?
  • What might be in the cup?
  • Does it smell?
  • What do you think will happen if we mix the blue and yellow?






I saved enough baking soda and vinegar to let each of the kids pour some in a vase so the mixture could bubble over on them. It was fun to see their reactions.


As much as I love taking the kids places, sometimes it's more fun to hang around the house in pajamas and build towers, color, read, and conduct experiments. We enjoyed our simple explorations today.

No comments:

Post a Comment