Sunday, March 22, 2015

Easy Patriotic Cake

A good friend of mine was hosting a party to celebrate her husband becoming a US citizen. She wanted to make a red, white, and blue cake, but does not find baking as enjoyable as I do. The cake she wanted was simple so I volunteered to make it. The only challenge to the cake was getting a deep red and blue color for the layers. Rather than struggle to get the right color, I cheated and used these cake mixes for the red and blue.


I was impressed with the vibrant color!


To avoid tearing up the layers and getting crumbs in the icing, I always flip the layers upside down. It makes it much easier to spread the icing and creates a smooth surface.


The only reason I volunteered to make this cake was because it was a simple cake with white icing. I chose to add a basic border and star to continue to red, white, and blue theme. I also baked a dozen cupcakes since it was a large party.


Here's the fun reveal once the cake was sliced open.

1 comment: