Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homemade Oatmeal Squares

Now that I'm making very conscious efforts to eat better, I've been trying to come up with an alternative to my favorite lactation cookies.  I've been eating a bowl of oatmeal every day for six months.  While I enjoy oatmeal, the texture does get old.  I played around with several different recipes and came up with a tasty recipe for oatmeal squares rounds.  They taste like a soft granola bar and can be adapted to include various mix-ins.

Ingredients
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup milled flaxseed (optional*)
1 tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup applesauce
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup of dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc (optional)

*I included flaxseed because it's supposed to help increase milk production.  If you include flax   AND dried fruit or nuts you'll probably need to increase the applesauce so it will still be moist.

Directions
Combine all ingredients. 
Scoop in muffin tins. 
Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Makes a dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment