Friday, January 31, 2014

Super Foods Update

It's been over two weeks since introducing my self imposed Super Foods challenge.  I've been able to consume at least ten different items on the list each day.  It has been easier than I expected, but has certainly required more intentional planning.  Grocery shopping and meal planning takes a bit more effort and expense.  We are no longer buying ice cream, cookies, chips, and other junk food items.  I've enjoyed experimenting with new foods and trying different recipes.

Here are some of our new favorite meals:

Pan-seared salmon, brown rice & black beans, and steamed broccoli

Roast beef, mashed cauliflower, steamed carrots, and green beans

Pork tenderloin, baked sweet potato, and roasted squash & zucchini

I try to fill half of my plate with vegetables, then a lean meat/protein, and healthier carb.  Lentils, quinoa, and brown rice have replaced macaroni and cheese, Texas toast, and mashed potatoes.  I try to cook a large, healthy dinner so that both Jesse and I can take the leftovers for lunch.  Jackson has eaten most everything Jesse and I eat, which is great. 

I use our newly purchased food processor (thanks, Aunt Marlette) at least once a day.  Its intended use was for making baby food, but I use it to make smoothies, mash sweet potatoes or cauliflower, and shred/slice veggies for salad.  Instead of ice cream I've been mixing a cup on nonfat, plain Greek yogurt with a cup of frozen berries and a tablespoon of flaxseed.  It's quite tasty!  I haven't been counting calories, but I did add up the nutrition facts for my berry smoothie.

280 calories, 28 g protein, 5 g fat, 10 g fiber

While I am proud of my progress, everything is not picture perfect.  My main meals are well balanced.  We no longer keep junk food in the house.  BUT, I can not kick this sweet tooth.  If I have the opportunity to eat sweets, I lose all self control.  I'm literally typing this while watching a cooking show where this Frenchman is baking a chocolate butter cake with rum cream sauce.  All I can think about is how I could adapt the recipe using current items in my pantry and bake it right this very moment.  My mouth is salivating.  Of course, it's more than just a desire.  Over the last two weeks I've managed to indulge in whoopie pies, chocolate molten cake, and free cookies from McDonalds.

There are times in the day where I am just plain hungry and feel desperate to eat anything.  My milk supply has decreased by 10-12 oz a day.  These factors make it difficult for me to decide if I should challenge my diet/exercise further and accept formula, or revert back to increased calories and resume my role as a cow.  For now, I don't plan on changing anything in regards to diet or exercise.  I will definitely need to get these sugar cravings and poor snack choices in check in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment