Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Crunching Numbers

I'm pretty dead set on staying home one more year.  I've been spending a lot of time this week exploring ways to make that work.  Jesse and I have one joint bank account in addition to our own individual bank accounts.  The mortgage comes out of my account each month through automatic billpay.  Jesse covers all other expenses.  In order for me to stay home, I need to somehow be able to pay the mortgage for another year.  This means I need to save/earn roughly $13,000.  Is this possible?  I'm leaning towards yes.

-I assume we can expect a sizable tax return in a few months, in addition to another tax return in 2015. 
-As far as jobs go, I think my best bet would be tutoring.  I sent out an e-mail to all 5th grade teachers that teach at schools within a 15 minute radius to pass my contact information and credentials along to parents. 
-A local mom suggested I apply to Sylvan or another tutoring program.  She was a stay at home mom/former teacher and worked from 5-7 two days a week on 9-1 on Saturdays.  That is definitely doable.
-I've been checking local listings through mother's groups and applied for a position for sitter/cleaner from 5-6:30 two days a week.  I haven't heard back and suspect that I won't, but I'll keep looking.
-Another mom suggested I take in another child during the day to watch, but I think that would be an awfully tough sell.  I would never have sent Jackson to stay with a mother I didn't know who already had four young children of her own.

I have to believe that something will work out and I'll be able to care for my children while contributing financially.  If anyone local has any leads, I'm all ears!

2 comments:

  1. With four children now, your tax return alone between the two years should nearly do the trick. And I know you think I'm crazy, but I've earned a lot of "extra" money via Swagbucks (enough to cover our Amazon subscribe & save and other, more fun extras and a good portion of Christmas). However, I do think tutoring is your best bet as well! swagbucks.com/refer/applewagon02

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will work out, ya'll will make it work! I agree with Katie, tutoring is a good start.

    ReplyDelete