Thursday, April 24, 2014

Eleven

Maybe it's because eleven was the most significant year of my childhood.

Or maybe it's because I spent every day for five years surrounded by 10-11 year olds.

Or maybe it's just because I adore everything about these girls.

Whatever the reason, when my nieces turned eleven, I knew I wanted to do something memorable to celebrate. Their birthdays fell just before spring break this year. I proposed a few different options and they decided to have a sleepover at our house.

Our time together began with eating a mac-n-cheese lunch before heading off to a park. They chose to play mini-golf. Jackson actually used his golf club correctly this time, but he started wandering around after the second hole.


We did the typical playground stuff-swings, slides, climbing, etc.


I was prepared to relax in the shade. I brought a blanket and toys for the trio and Jack. We had bread to feed the ducks. All was picture perfect...



Until we were attacked by geese! Seriously, these were the most aggressive geese I've ever encountered. Poor Jack was hysterically running away. I think they were just territorial because when one of the geese got up we discovered a huge nest of eggs. Regardless, they were pretty darn intimidating!


After our park adventures. we came home for brief downtime before dinner. Between the eight of us (2 nieces, Jack, trio, Jesse and I) we ate twelve quesadillas in addition to beans and rice. I can't imagine how much food we'll tear through when the triplets are older.

After dinner is always the most stressful time of our day because the kids are getting tired and Jesse and I are busy cleaning and trying to get everything ready for bed. The girls took the babies upstairs to play. Jesse loaded the dishwasher and made his lunch for the next day while I wiped down the high chairs and swept. When we were finished we just looked at each other and said, "Hmmm. You think they could just come by every day?" 

The girls and I got the babies ready for bed,


while Jackson and Jesse inflated the air mattress and made the bed.  Jackson was so excited that his big cousins were spending the night. It took a bit of coaxing to get him to come upstairs and read stories.


After my kids were in bed I went downstairs to spend a few hours catching up on eleven year old gossip and taking quizzes in girly magazines. The good news is that I love chatting with my nieces and could stay up talking to them every night. The bad news is that I'm more out of date than I thought in regards to teen celebrities.


The following morning flew by as I rushed to get everyone fed, dressed, and out the door in time to take Jack to preschool. After dropping Jack off, we headed to the mall for a shopping spree.


The babies and I had hours of entertainment watching the matching fashion show that took place. The entire time I kept staring at Maddie and Amelia while thinking, "Is this what my life will be like in ten years?" I certainly hope it is!


After buying new dresses, we obviously had to go home and do makeovers.


At some point throughout the afternoon we also ate a shocking number of homemade waffles, picked up Jackson from preschool, and cared for babies (nap, diapers, bottles, play, neighborhood walk, etc).

The girls are such little mammas already. I love it!


Happy belated 11th birthday, girls!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! I know the girls loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm behind on my blog reading...this post is great. Fantastic memory for them; I know they both totally loved it all, from babies to makeovers, lol.

    ReplyDelete