Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mini-Golf: Take One

Over the weekend I learned about a park 15 minutes away that offers mini-golf for $2.  I love finding free/cheap finds and new things to do with Jackson. I was eager to go on Monday morning, but decided to wait 'til the afternoon so the babies would be well rested, the ground could dry, and it would be a bit warmer. 

Jackson was strangely quiet all morning and watched TV on the couch for hours.  I rarely allow that, but I honestly didn't notice because I was busy preparing dinner and breakfast for the homeless ministry. The only time he talked to me was when he wanted yet another snack. Once I turned the TV off and got everyone ready, we were all in good spirits.

Jackson looked like he was going to fall asleep in the van so I tried to keep him talking the whole ride. When we got there, I unbuckled Jackson first like always, then opened the hatchback to put James and Amelia in the double stroller.  Jackson was starting to get really whiny and was still in the middle of the van between his and Maddie's carseat. I put Maddie in the Ergo and told him more firmly, "Come on! It's time to go.  We get to have fun at the park."

I closed the hatchback and put the diaper bag in the stroller, all while yelling at Jackson to get out of the van.  Next thing I knew, I heard "Oh, no! I throw up! I throw up! It yucky!" Sure enough, Jackson was sitting in the middle of the van covered in his own vomit.  Mind you, I can't open his side of the van door anymore, so I literally had to climb between the seats, still wearing Maddie, and retrieve my vomit covered child. If you know me, you're aware that it's a miracle I didn't pass out right then and there.

Thankfully, I had an emergency change of clothes in the van so I stripped Jackson down in the parking lot and put his dirty clothes in a plastic bag.  All of the babies were still in the stroller and Jackson demanded to sit in the stroller. I had the single umbrella stroller as well so I let him sit in it.  Obviously, I no longer had any intentions of golfing.  I did, however, want the van to air out and get some fresh air.  Jackson cried, "I want to go for a walk."

He was as white as a ghost and could not have been more pitiful.  He was singing to himself "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" so I knew he would fall asleep quickly.  I cannot tell you how difficult it was to push a double and single stroller by myself on a trail covered with tiny pebbles.

While Jackson was passed out in the stroller,

I let the babies play in the shade.  (Truly, I really just didn't want to return to the van). James kept putting grass and dirt in his mouth. Amelia laughed until she fell over. Maddie just growled.

When we were heading back to the van, I gave up on simultaneously pushing/pulling both strollers.  I pushed Jackson several yards, then the babies, and so on.  This was the first time I have ever been out in public with all four kids when not one person stopped me.  There were plenty of people but not one person offered to help or even make any comments.

I took my time loading the trio in their carseats, hoping Jackson would wake up on his own.  I had no such luck. I had to pick a sick, sleeping, 30 pound child up and over Maddie's rear facing carseat, then buckle him in.  Unfortunately, the vomiting continued once we were home and spread to poor Madeline.  Maddie had a much harder time recovering.

Needless to say, our first attempt at mini golf was a complete F-A-I-L.

No comments:

Post a Comment