Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Breastmilk Storage 101

Step 1: Pump milk. 
My assorted bottles were taking over the refrigerator and becoming an unorganized mess.  I rotate the bottles and use the oldest milk first, but I had accumulated so many bottles that I was getting confused.  I tend to be a few ounces short during my daily pumps, but overcompensate with my middle of the night pumps.  Therefore, I need to keep around 12 oz in the fridge at any given time to add to bottles as necessary.  I have recently been producing enough excess to freeze.  I ended up with 58 ounces in the fridge from the past week.  Sadly, I had to discard 6 oz of spoiled milk.

 
Step 2: Pour milk into bags.  Be sure to write the date and number of ounces. 
Step 3: Freeze flat.

I froze ten 4-oz bags of milk from the past week.
 Step 4: Cut a slit along the bottom edge of a small gift bag. 

 
Step 5: Place the oldest milk on the bottom and continually place the most recent milk on top.  Pull the oldest milk from the bottom slit to constantly rotate your stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment