Monday, June 22, 2015

Father's Day (A Very Special Guest Post)

My lovely wife always strives to make Father's Day memorable. This year, she created a framed silhouette of the kids and I walking. It is really cool. I am so grateful to have a creative, loving wife who makes me feel special.


Jackson was eager to give me the gift from Bonnie while she finished making pancakes and bacon for breakfast. I suggested we all go for a walk on the local greenway after breakfast. Recently, the temperature has been hovering around 100 degrees in the afternoon, so we had to get at it quickly.


It was still quite warm outside, but the shaded path was nice for a slow stroll. At least one of the triplets was walking almost the whole time, so we were relegated to go now faster than their little legs.


Bonnie informed me later that the Father's Day picture with all the kids was perfect except for me--I didn't open my eyes wide enough.

After cooling off for a bit at home, I told Jackson we could ride to the comic book store. I wanted to pick up some of the new Marvel comics that go along with the Secret Wars story line and Jackson wanted to see what he could find, as well.


Jackson picked out Scooby Doo, Spiderman, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics and I got the first two issues of Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars. Jackson was pretty excited to get to meet the Merc with the Mouth in person. Well, I guess it was the Mannequin with the Mouth in this case.

Oddly, Jackson specifically requested Taco Bell for lunch. I don't think he had ever stepped foot in a Taco Bell before yesterday, but we made a run for the border anyway. We arrived promptly at 2:00, which is the beginning of Taco Bell's Happier Hour. We feasted on tacos, burritos, and nachos. Jackson gave me some tips on how to drink our $1 frozen beverages without getting brain freeze.


We wrapped up the day with a whole family trip to Walmart. Jackson has been collecting change for well over a year. His first goal was to save enough for a giant pizza, but he decided he wanted to cash in a little today on a toy. He chose a pretty awesome Guardians of the Galaxy spaceship. The triplets each got to pick out a small toy of their own. Amelia picked out a compact that can also doubles as a speaker for her smart phone. Madeline picked out an adorable rabbit bath squirter which she kissed nonstop in the buggy. James didn't really care, but Bonnie gave him a car so that he wouldn't feel left out.

The family feasted on a strangely white-meat-heavy portion of fried chicken and boxed macaroni and cheese before calling it a day.

Father's Day is a day for me to realize how grateful I am to be able to spend time with this family everyday. Bonnie is an inspiring and amazing wife and mother and our children are beautiful and unique. As the immortal bard, Gary Busey, once said, "Never dip lower than you can dip."

No comments:

Post a Comment