Monday, June 13, 2011

2 Month Check and Maggiano's--Monday, June 13

Today was our long awaited two month checkup at the doctor's office.  (Jackson technically should have had this appointment last week.)  Here are his 2 month stats:

Weight-12 lb, 15 oz (57th %)
Height-25 in (97th %)
Head-15.75 in (47th %)

I told the doctor I was concerned about Jackson's diaper rash.  He inspected it and confirmed it's an allergic reaction to something with the diapers.  I told the doctor that we would do a vinegar rinse.  His face totally changed and he said, "Oh no, that would burn!"  He assumed I was going to wash Jackson in vinegar, but I was definitely talking about rinsing the diapers in vinegar.  I literally laughed out loud at the misunderstanding.  Why would I wash my child in vinegar??  He suggested applying 0.5% hydrocortisone cream for the diaper rash once or twice to see if it cleared up.  The doctor also recommended less frequent baths, cooler water, Dove soap, and Eucerin lotion for the eczema. 

I had been dreading the 2 month vaccines for the past week.  Jackson received the rotavirus vaccine (by mouth), Hep B, Polio, DTP, Hib, and PCV13 (all by injection).  I honestly didn't know what most of those vaccines or diseases were, but I at least read the "What You Need to Know" paper afterwards.  Some mothers are so passionate about delayed vaccinations and alternative schedules, but shots are not an issue I'm going to fight over.  I'm going to trust the recommendations by professionals.  Jackson loved the oral vaccine and smiled nonstop.  He even giggled at the nurse.  However, the second I held his arms down and the nurse restrained his legs, things got ugly!  He honestly only cried for a minute, then sucked his pacifier and fell asleep.  But it was the heart wrenching, scary cry where he turns purple from crying so hard and then becomes silent with his mouth still wide open.  After I fed Jackson once home he projectile vomited frightening amounts of milk twice.  He's been fussy ever since.

Today was my final day at Irwin.  We had one last lunch to honor all the retirees.  Classrooms had to be cleaned out.  I learned how to teach in this school building, in my classroom.  I've grown tremendously over the past three years and I will always think of my experiences here affectionately.

Jesse and I went to Maggiano's, our favorite Italian restaurant, this evening.  This particular restaurant has an annual special for teachers.  For two days they take 50% off the entire check, and give you two full pasta dishes to go.  That means we were able to order spaghetti w/ meatballs and lasagna for our meals, and fettuccine alfredo and baked ziti to take home.  We chose to order these meals to bring to Elizabeth and her husband when we visit them tomorrow. 

The reason this is my favorite restaurant is we always split their dessert sampler plate.  Words cannot express the pure indulgence and goodness of their cheesecake, tiramisu, apple crostada, chocolate cake, and creme brulee!


So to review, we received two loaves of bread, full portions of four different pastas, and five desserts for $20.  Sometimes it pays to be a teacher.  Thanks, Maggiano's!


Thankfully, Jackson was great throughout the entire dinner.  Jesse gave him a bottle and he was peaceful the whole time.  He awoke at home grumpy.  After over an hour of fussing, we are ready to swaddle our sweet boy and kiss him goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment