Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekend Getaway--June 25-27

Jesse and I had such an amazing weekend!  We went to Boone to attend a friend's rehearsal dinner and wedding.  In between we meandered through campus, drove along the Parkway, napped in the hotel, worshiped at our former church, and strolled along mountain trails.  It was our first overnight trip with Jackson, which made us much more thoughtful in our packing.  Some of the things we had to consider were:
  • Diapers--Do we use disposable for a few days or cloth?  Once we decided cloth, we had to figure out where to keep the dirty diapers.  Katie let us borrow a wetbag large enough to hold 20+ diapers.  We then had to consider cloth vs disposable wipes.  Since we weren't sure how to keep the wipes moist, we went with disposable.
  • Sleeping Arrangements--We brought the pack-n-play w/ the bassinet for Jackson.  Even though we originally reserved a room with one full size bed, I changed my mind because I didn't have a comfortable place to nurse Jackson during the night.  We ended up getting a room with two full size beds and Jackson and I co-slept most of the night.
  • Clothing--Jackson could win an award for the number of times he spits up in a day.  Because of this we packed plenty of bibs, burp cloths, and spare outfits.  Jesse and I had to pack nice enough clothes for the rehearsal, church on Sunday morning, and the wedding.  I had to bring dresses that I could nurse in, which is easier said than done. 
  • Nursing Supplies--Since we make sure Jackson gets a bottle per day, I went ahead and brought my pump.  Luckily, our hotel room had a mini-fridge so I was able to pump in the hotel in advance rather than pumping a bottle a few hours before the rehearsal and wedding. 
We took our time getting to Boone, but still ended up arriving before check-in.  After piddling through campus and SuperWalMart, we checked into the notorious Boone Trail Motel.  Jesse nearly took the side of my car out trying to turn on the absurdly uneven road.






I was skeptical of what the condition of the hotel would be like, but was pleasantly surprised.  Truly, I think it is one of Boone's hidden gems!  The shower was smaller than the showers at the YMCA; the room seemed strangely moist; and there was no wi-fi.  With that said, it was a very clean room that had air conditioning, cable TV, a mircowave, and mini fridge.  And an entire weekend cost less than one night at any other hotel in Boone.

The main event of the weekend was the wedding ceremony between Jane, a very good friend from college, and her Guatemalan lover, Ruben.  Jane spent a year volunteering through the Presbyterian Church in Guatemala, where she met and fell in love with Ruben.  The wedding was a beautiful blend of the two cultures.  Each scripture was read aloud in English, Spanish, and an indigenous Mayan language.  Our college campus minister officiated the ceremony as our campus ministry family joyously celebrated their marriage.


One of my goals this weekend was to get pictures of all three of us.  With the help of friends and random strangers, we definitely accomplished this!  Here's my favorite one from the wedding:

Jackson has yet another MiMi in his life.  Jane's grandmother, affectionately known as MiMi, literally took Jackson away from our arms on multiple occasions at both the rehearsal and ceremony.  Neither Jesse nor I had ever met her before, but she was certainly well intentioned.  The running joke of the weekend became, "Where's MiMi?" every time Jackson was hungry, tired, crying, etc.


Jesse and I are both proud Appalachian alumni.  I made a random stranger take a picture of us by the sign, in hopes that we will be able to recreate the same photo in 18 years.  Of course I will support Jackson wherever he goes, but I will make it clear that ASU is the best choice for him.  ; D


On our way back home, we stopped at one of my favorite places in the High Country, the Moses Cone Memorial Park.  I've always felt especially close to God looking out at the vast mountains from the manor.  Jesse and I had our pictures taken in the same spot on our wedding day.  It was fun to go back there today with Jackson.

One of the best recent purchases we've made is a cheap, small stroller from Wal Mart.  After one too many problems from the expensive, bulky jogging stroller, we've vowed never to use it again.  This stroller has made our lives so much easier this weekend!


You know it's an amazing weekend when you get to celebrate with close friends, reminisce, and see God's creation at its finest.  We spent a grand total of $150, which included all meals, hotel expenses, and fuel.  I feel so blessed that Jesse and I are able to create such great memories with our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment