Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mompetitors--Thursday, June 23

Before reading this post, please watch the following 3 minute video: Why I Can't Make Mom Friends

Obviously the video is a satire, but it struck a chord with me.  (I laughed hysterically after the line, "Oh shit!  Do you know how diseases are spread?") 

There is a clear difference between passion and close-minded ignorance.  I can't stand the guilt mothers inflict upon one another.

My sisters and I were discussing the absurdity regarding formula feeding vs. breast feeding.  There is so much unnecessary pressure and judgement regarding how you feed your child.  We talked about how we feel the need to announce to people that our children are still receiving breastmilk even when they are bottle fed, as if we will be looked down upon if we were formula feeding.  For as much judgement there is about formula feeding, there is equal criticism and even disapproval for nursing in public.  All of it is ridiculous!  Why should anyone else care how you choose to feed your child?

Certain people smirked and gave condescending remarks about us co-sleeping with Jackson.  We were told it wasn't safe and were also warned that Jackson might never sleep in his bed.  And yet when we transitioned him to the crib, another person remarked that Jackson was way too young to be sleeping in another room.  We can't win!

I don't have any insight or wisdom.  I think most mothers feel a sense of connection and desire to help one another.  I don't know why there is any judgment among mothers. 

I found this prayer online and thought it would be a good prayer for all mothers.

Good and Gentle God, we pray in gratitude for our mothers and for all the women who have joined with you in the wonder of bringing forth new life. You who became human through a woman, grant to all mothers the courage they need to face the uncertain future that life with children always brings.
Give them the strength to live and to be loved in return, not perfectly, but humanly. Give them the faithful support of husband, family and friends as they care for the physical and spiritual growth of their children. Give them joy and delight in their children to sustain them through the trials of motherhood. Most of all, give them the wisdom to turn to you for help when they need it most. Amen.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Time for a completely unrelated photo of the day.  Jackson concentrates SO hard on grabbing things, clasping his hands together, and bringing things towards his mouth.  It's so amazing what all he is learning and absorbing.  I find it absolutely fascinating how much effort a baby must make to do the most simple tasks we take for granted.  How incredible is it that Jesse and I (through the grace of God) actually created this child???  I love watching him learn and grow!




1 comment:

  1. I think I nearly wet my pants watching that video! Between Dora, the goldfish and the baby seal comment I was rolling.

    "I think a baby seal just died." Best line EVER.

    That being said, being a mom is an awful lot like trying on swimsuits. You try a lot of 'styles' on until you find the one that creeps up your butt the least while similtaneously providing the most coverage ;)

    ReplyDelete