Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter--Sunday, April 24

Whew!  What a whirlwind of a day.  By 9 a.m. Jesse and I had already showered and were eating breakfast.  We crammed the diaper bag full of ten cloth diapers, 2 change of outfits, burp cloths, medicineand prepared for a LONG day!  We left the house at 10:10 a.m. and returned home at 8:30 p.m.  Here are the highlights from our day.

Easter Service
Our church had an easter egg hunt in the morning and a social breakfast (juice and danishes) before the service.  Jesse and I got there about 30 minutes before the service to show off our little man.  We are especially close to the choir and all of the members ran up to us shouting the second they saw us.  I didn't want him passed around the whole congregation since he's only two weeks old, but we did let a very near and dear elder in the church hold him for some time.  We decided not to take him to the nursery since he is pretty content.  Jesse and I just held Jackson most of the time.  He started to get hungry towards the last 15 minutes of the service.  By the last hymn I had to go to the restroom to feed him because he was beyond upset.  I was so uncomfortable because there was no where to sit, no back support, and I had a screaming child trying to latch onto my already sore nipples.  He was a happy camper after he ate and we were still able to introduce him to several church members after church.
We were finally able to get a family photo of us.  We haven't had a picture with all three of us since his birth.

Lunch with my family
Lunch started at 1 p.m. but we didn't even leave church until 12:30, then drove 40 minutes, and had to heat up our very cold mac-n-cheese and rolls.  We're always on time so this was the first time my family had to wait on us.  I totally took advantage of family members holding Jackson and ate my lunch first.  I was also able to use my sister's nursing cover and feed Jackson twice.  It felt really good to not have to find a bathroom or closet to nurse.  I'm trying to practice using the cover so I get more comfortable. 

My sister, sister-in-law, and I were all pregnant at the same time.  Here are our babies:

In honor of mom, we forced all the kids to pose for the classic photo.  I think we need a bigger couch!  Mom sure would love to see all these grandkids.  This was one of better photos:

Shortly after lunch we walked down the road for an Easter egg hunt at my aunt's house at 3 p.m.  Jackson was again passed around as he was introduced to the extended family.  It was very hot outside and Jackson kept wanting to eat even though I had just fed him an hour before.  All in all, he was fairly content and we had a great time watching the bigger kids play while the adults admired the babies.

It takes just over an hour to drive from my sister's house to Jesse's brother's house.  Around 4:30 p.m. we got back in the car.  Jesse and I were discussing how smoothly the day had gone and how we had been so nervous about today.  Not ten minutes later, Jackson starts sucking his hand violently and crying.  After five more minutes it escalated to all out screaming.  His face was beet red and he was shaking he was crying so hard.  We were only 20 minutes away from the in-laws house, but of course there was a wreck.  Finally we just pulled over at a rest stop so I could feed him.  FYI, when your child is crying and screaming it makes you leak.  I kid you not, I unsnapped my bra and my boob became a fire hydrant spraying my child.  Jesse took Jackson to the restroom to change his diaper and saturated outfit while I cleaned up.  Needless to say, the car ride was a disaster.

We ended up being 45 minutes late and our family was already finished eating.  Oh well...guess this is life with a newborn.  Easter dinner with the in-laws was relaxed and enjoyable.  We stayed a couple of hours before heading home.  It is such a relief it was to be home.  All in all, a successful first outing with only one really stressful incident.  Not sure I would plan another ten hour outing with a two week old, but when all is said and done I'm so glad Jackson was able to meet the people who have loved and prayed for him the past several months on such a meaningful day.  Now time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment