Friday, April 29, 2011

Finding a Routine?--Friday, April 29

I don't want to jinx us, but for the past three nights Jackson has eaten around 10 p.m., 2 a.m., and 6 a.m.  That means Jesse and I have more or less been able to sleep over six hours.  Feeding, changing, and burping takes about 30-45 minutes for us, but Jackson falls right back asleep after the 10 and 2 feeding.  He is still congested so we suctioned him throughout the night.  He is eating every 2 hours during the day, but I think he is finally settling into a day/night pattern that works for us. 

Milk Coma--Common Sighting after Nursing
I've been reading up on pumping breast milk quite a good bit.  I think I'm going to buy a deep freezer to put in the garage to store my milk.  The CDC and LLL recommend storing frozen milk in a deep freezer for 6-12 months.  That means that if I start now and pump daily through August, I can have a well established supply until Jackson is at least 10 months old.  My goal is to breastfeed until Jackson is a year old and I would rather not have to pump while at work.  I also want to make sure I have as good of a supply as I do right now.

Potentially TMI topic: I am beginning to get concerned about this postpartum bleeding.  It has been 20 days now and I am still bleeding bright red .  It has tapered off, but not enough to get away with just a pantyliner.  I am going to call the OB's office on Monday to schedule my 4 week check up appointment so I'll ask the nurse about it then.  I have heard of some women bleeding for just a few days, others for over a month.  Everything I've researched says if I am still bleeding, it should be pink or lighter, not bright red.  Either way, this so makes up for not having a period for 9 months!

Apparently I'm the obsessive, irrational parent and Jesse is the apathetic, relaxed parent.  Over the last three days I have diagnosed Jackson with a cold, reflux, GERD, and colic.  Jesse and I both will google something, like spitting up through the nose, and only read the answers that support our extreme opinion.  I really am trying to relax.  I never thought I would be so uptight about my child, but it's scary not knowing what is normal and when I should stop freaking out.

Today was Jesse's last work day off before finishing out the school year (six more weeks before summer).  We had made plans to go on the Greenway for a nice, long walk.  Instead my oldest sister and her family came to visit, which was a pleasant surprise.  I was tired from being up since 6 a.m. so Jackson and I took a two hour nap together in the bed.  I swear, the child can sleep forever when he is cuddled up beside me.  Lord help us when we try to transition him to the crib!  We did manage to go on a long walk through the neighborhood before dinner.  Then Jan and Jeff came to visit for a few hours this evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment