Monday, July 4, 2011

Birthday of Indulgences

This birthday was full of indulgences.

It began with traditional phone calls from my sisters at midnight.  Jackson was wide awake at 7 a.m. so Jesse got up early with him so I could sleep a few extra hours.  Since it was a Sunday, our morning consisted of eating pancakes and bacon before going to church.

Jesse and I went to Chili's after lunch to take advantage of a gift card my best friend mailed me.  They have a great $20 deal that includes an appetizer and two entrees.  We ordered chips with salsa and guacamole, fried shrimp, and a half rack of ribs.  Dessert included my all time favorite Molten Chocolate Cake.

Nursing Jackson was a bit of a challenge since the booth at Chili's was so narrow that Jackson's lower half was literally dangling under the table.  I guess we weren't too awkward since nursing didn't stop the manager from asking about our service or the waitress from refilling drinks and clearing the table. 

Jesse did a great job making me feel special by singing "Happy Birthday" several times throughout the day (just like my mom would have).  He was too cute when he suddenly seemed nervous and asked me, "This is one of the special birthdays, isn't it?  Am I supposed to make a poster?"  My mother would have made a poster full of pictures from milestone moments over the past 25 years for everyone to sign.  I was impressed he even thought of that and told him not to worry about it.

We had plans to have the whole family (about 20 people) over for dinner tonight.  Jesse severely overestimated the amount of food we would need.  He purchased 24 hamburgers, 48 hotdogs, over 42 ice cream novelties, multiple cans of baked beans, chili, and bags of chips.  I couldn't fit it all on the counter!
I went to get my eyebrows waxed while Jesse finished dinner preparations.  (They close at six on Sundays and I got there at 5:59.  I was grateful because they still let me go around the back entrance and get waxed.) 

Family arrived around 7 pm.  The next few hours were filled with crowded shuffling, eating, laughing, and more eating.  The kids entertained themselves playing upstairs and outside.  The babies were passed around. 





The greatest indulgence of the day was a homemade Brown Sugar Pound Cake from my mother-in-law.

It's always a good day when you get to celebrate with your favorite people, eat your favorite food, and wake up and go to bed next to the two most beautiful boys in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had an awesome birthday. I am obligated to object to the "two most beautiful boys" comment though. ;)

    ReplyDelete