Monday, May 16, 2011

Post Partum Check--Monday, May 16

Today was the first day using cloth wipes.  I didn't anticipate how much work goes into preparing the wipes.  You have to soak them in a soapy solution, wring them out, roll them up, and place them in the wipe warmer to keep them moist and easy to store.  It seems quite extravagant to use warm, wet towelettes on an infant's behind.  Whatever, it's cheap, easy, and sure to feel good.   


Jackson has been holding his head up most of the day now, unless he is tired and fighting sleep.  I think it's still too early to introduce the bumbo or the exersaucer, but it definitely won't be long now.


Jackson says, "Thanks for dinner, Mom."
Today was my post partum check.  (I have no clue why it was scheduled at 5 weeks instead of 6 weeks.)   I scheduled it for 4 p.m. so Jesse could watch Jackson.  The appointment was brief.  They checked my blood pressure, took a blood and urine sample, and performed a vaginal exam to check my cervix and press on my uterus.  The obstetrician reviewed my options for birth control.   I asked him what the earliest time was to safely begin trying to conceive and he quickly replied, "medically speaking, as soon as the placenta comes out".  I have decided to rely on breastfeeding and spermicide as birth control.  Those methods are not 100% reliable and I am okay with that.  Because Jesse and I do want to conceive again within the next year, it doesn't make sense to take the mini-pill or have an IUD inserted.  If I become pregnant in the next few months while exclusively breastfeeding (which is highly unlikely), I'll just consider that God's will. 
My doctor told me I'm free to exercise and have sex as much as I want, but to go slow if either hurts.  I can't tell you how much I want to do both of those things, but I don't know when or how anymore.  I can't just go to the gym for an hour after work or go for an impromptu run anymore.  I haven't really worked out in nearly a year and I am at my heaviest weight (as my Ross shopping trip reminded me yesterday).  I just want my body back to where it was last May.  As far as sex goes, I desperately miss the intimacy but flabby skin and stitches does not increase anyones sex drive!  Sex would solely revolve around Jackson's schedule.  I'm nervous about my breasts leaking or Jackson waking up screaming.  I can't imagine that would go over well in the heat of the moment! 

I am especially tired tonight, but not sleepy.  I've cooked, cleaned, washed and hung the laundry, and dealt with a fussy baby most of the day; now I want to unwind.  Jackson sleeps the best and longest between 9 p.m.--1 a.m.  I know I need to sleep then, but I just want to relax by myself late at night.  I'm so sick of people telling me to sleep when he sleeps.  It just doesn't work that way for me.  It drives me crazy when people assume since I stay home I can just nap all day.  Not hardly...

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree about the napping!! I never napped when Levi did. I just had way too much to do and not enough time to do it.

    ReplyDelete