Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lactation Cookies--A Bonus Post

After two weeks of freezing my milk, I now have enough frozen milk for twelve 5-ounce bottles.  I also pump and refrigerate enough milk for Jackson to have a bottle at least every other day.  Frozen milk is off limits until August when I go back to work.  Even if I am able to freeze 30 ounces a week from now until August, that will only be enough to get us through a month.  (10 weeks X 30 oz=300 oz.  That makes 60 5-oz bottles.  If Jackson needs 3 bottles a day while I am at work 5 days a week, that is 15 bottles per week. That means I'll only have enough milk for 4 weeks.)  Obviously I will still have to pump at work, but I really wanted to get a large enough stash to last the first 2-3 months.  I guess that is not realistic? I decided it was time to finally make those lactation cookies, in hopes of increasing my milk supply and pumping output.


Here is the recipe, courteousy of my sister:

1 cup crisco/butter/margarine
1/2 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
2t vanilla extract
1/4t salt
1t baking soda
1/2 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C white flour
2 T brewers yeast*
2 T milled flax seed
1/4 C wheat germ
2 C oats (quick or old fashioned)
1/2 more or less of chocolate chips/butterscotch or my far, toffee

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine sugars & crisco until smooth. Add eggs & vanilla, mix well.

Combine all remaining ingredients, excluding oatmeal and chips/toffee until smooth.

Add oatmeal and chips/toffee and spread onto foil lined, large cookie sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, cool and cut into bars.
After visiting a couple of stores, I gathered the plethora of ingredients the recipe calls for:


I was a little unsure of the consistency as well as the thickness of the cookie while spreading it on the pan.  I was interrupted by a phone call, dinner preparations, and a hungry baby, but managed to get them in the oven before dinner. 

Jesse, aka "Butter Fingers", took them out of the oven for me. 



I was so furious at the whole ordeal.  I eventually managed to laugh it off, but I had to take Jackson upstairs and play to avoid saying more foul things than I did.  I am tired of stressing over a nonissue.  My milk supply is fine.  I don't know why I have to plan and control things so much.  I just struggle with worrying that I won't be a good enough mother when I go back to work.  The least I could do is make sure I can feed my child!

A few hours after the cookie fiasco, I drove my happy self to the closest grocery store and decided it was time to get my brewers yeast in an alternative form.


 


That's right, after an entire year of abstinence, I twisted open a cold one.  I nursed Jackson before putting him to bed, then downed one beer guilt free.  A toast for pumping...

1 comment:

  1. laughing my BUTT off...with love of course. I'd have gone for the Brewer's Yeast in that form after all that too ;)

    ReplyDelete