Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yesterday's Wreck--Thursday, May 19

Jesse got in a fairly bad wreck yesterday while driving home from work.  He was not at fault, though it was certainly terrifying.  No wife wants to pick up the phone to hear sirens in the background and her husband abruptly say, "I got in a wreck.  You need to come here.  I've got to go talk to the police now."  Not knowing what to expect, I tossed Jackson in the car and sped away.  While listening to the radio traffic report along the way, the reporter announced the exact location of where I was driving as a place to avoid due to an accident.  All things considering, if he had to have a wreck, things truly went in Jesse's favor because:
  1. Jesse was not injured.  (Though the other driver broke his arm!)
  2. A police officer was behind Jesse and witnessed the whole thing.
  3. Despite being pummeled across three lanes of opposite traffic, neither car was hit by oncoming cars.
  4. Jesse did not flip his car over, though the police officer told us she was just waiting for that to happen.
  5. The other driver was driving a company vehicle so insurance is not a concern.
  6. Jackson was not in the car. 
  7. The police paid for towing expenses.
  8. Insurance should cover everything minus the small deductible.
  9. I was home and able to get Jesse.  (I would not have been if I were working.)
  10. I am not working so Jesse is able to drive my car indefinitely.
Word travels fast, because there were four phone calls from auto body repair shops soliciting services before 9 a.m. this morning.  Jesse received 24 pieces of mail from chiropractors and attorneys in one day. 


Even though the carseat didn't look damaged, my sister informed me that we can no longer use it.  I looked online to see what the guidelines are about car seats in crashes and repeatedly found these rules:
The use of a child restraint must be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child restraint.
Since Jesse's wreck does not meet ALL of the requirements, it is considered a severe crash.  Therefore, we must replace the carseat we just bought two months ago.

Now that the shock and scare has worn off, my sarcastic husband joked, "Well, you missed out on a sweet life insurance settlement."  Um, thanks, but I'd rather have my husband than pay off the house!  Yesterday was another reminder to hold your family just a little bit tighter because you never know what might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment