Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sex--Tuesday, May 24

I cannot tell you how much I've missed physical intimacy and affection with Jesse.  My OB asked me to refrain from sexual activity until the standard 6 weeks postpartum.  This has been no easy task.  I wasn't worried or nervous, though I knew it was likely to be uncomfortable.  Well, it was definitely uncomfortable, but amazing.  Marriage is all about trusting one another, especially at vulnerable moments.  I will simply say that you would NEVER know a 14 inch head fit through there!

I've stated before that I will not be using contraception.  I know it is highly unlikely to conceive while breastfeeding.  With that said, I literally felt nauseous afterwards and prayed that I wouldn't get pregnant right away.  I can't imagine having two kids under the age of one!  I had to look online at the trusted KellyMom site to reassure me.  Research shows:
Exclusive breastfeeding has in fact been shown to be an excellent form of birth control, but there are certain criteria that must be met for breastfeeding to be used effectively.  Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:
  1. Your baby is less than six months old
  2. Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
  3. Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.
I meet each of those conditions.  And by the time Jackson is six months old, I would like to get pregnant.  If anything, I am worried that I will have difficulty conceiving.  I don't want to have to give up nursing to create the family that I want.  From what I've read, it's very difficult to conceive right away even after your periods return while you are still breastfeeding.  I think I am a minority in the fact that I want to conceive soon.  I figure, whenever I get pregnant, I'll have another nine months to prepare mentally and physically. 

How could I not want another baby when I am greeted by this sweet face throughout the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment